Whether you drive domestic, Asian, or European, now is the perfect time for preventative vehicle maintenance. Winter can be rough on cars, crossovers, SUVs, and trucks, especially the cold winters we have here in Illinois. Mark’s Auto Service is ready to give your automobile the once-over to resolve any winter damage and prepare it for summer. Spring fever is in the air, so show your automobile a little love with some spring preventative maintenance.
Repair Winter Damage
The road salt used to make our icy roads safe wreak havoc on your vehicle’s undercarriage. If any of that road salt was kicked up into your engine, it can oxidize and rust engine parts, too. Spring is a good time for an inspection to make sure there isn’t any residual road salt and related damage.
Winter is also hard on car batteries. Frigid winter weather slows down the chemical reaction going on inside your vehicle’s battery. Consequently, the battery has to work extra hard in the winter. This drains the battery, so have it inspected in the spring so you don’t end up with a dead battery.
Summer is hard on your vehicle in different ways. The hot outside air means you’ll want to run the air conditioner to keep your vehicle’s cabin cool. Hot outside air also makes it harder for your radiator system to cool the engine. Hot roads can turn bald tires into driving hazards.
Your automobile spring preventative maintenance plan should include inspecting the air conditioner, radiator, tires, and getting an oil change. Failure to do so might leave you stranded on a hot summer road, which isn’t fun no matter how you slice it. Here’s why this maintenance is important:
- Your AC works hard to keep you cool but heats your engine while it runs.
- System leaks or low refrigerant prevent your AC from cooling the cabin.
- Your radiator system works harder in the summer because of the AC and hot weather.
- Inspecting the radiator system ensures it can handle the added stress.
- Bald tires blowout on hot roads.
- Now is the time for a new set if you need them.
- Oil changes prevent friction-related heat that also overheats your engine.
Stop by Mark’s Auto Service in Rockford or Loves Park, IL, so we can check all of these things. We want to make sure your car, truck, or SUV is ready for summer.